Pinning Isn’t Just for Pinterest: How to Pin on Facebook and Twitter
What’s the 1st thing someone sees when they visit your Twitter or Facebook page:
- greetings to a new Twitter follower?
- post from a spammy Facebook visitor?
- your latest political or The Voice rant?
What is the first thing you want new visitors to see on your Facebook or Twitter page?
There are 5 strategic locations to optimize your business Facebook and Twitter pages:
- profile photo
- cover photo
- page name
- top timeline post
Everyone knows to – and hopefully does – carefully craft the 1st 4: but what about #5: optimize your top social media post. Visitors to your web page take seconds to look at your site, and decide if you’re worth following. Don’t leave your top social media post to chance: Facebook and Twitter give you the option to pin a post to the top of your page, so its the 1st post a visitor sees.
How to Pin a Post to Your Twitter Stream
- Open your Twitter page
- Find a tweet you want to pin (see 5 tips for pinned posts below)
- Click the three-dot icon at the bottom lower corner of the tweet, it will say More
- From the drop-down menu, select Pin to your profile page
- Look for the blue pin icon and the words Pinned Tweet
How to Pin a Post to Your Facebook Timeline
- Open your Facebook business page
- Find a post you want to pin (see 5 tips for pinned posts below)
- Click the down arrow in the upper, right-hand corner of the post
- From the drop-down menu, select Pin to Top
- Look for a small orange ribbon in the URC of your pinned post: that indicates your post is pinned
5 Tips for Pinned Posts:
- include a link
- add an image
- update regularly: no one wants to see a post pinned in 2015
- use a hashtag
What Should You Pin to the Top of Your Facebook and Twitter Timeline?
- how you can help your followers or customers
- a special sale or promotion
- your latest positive media
- a new book release
- accolades from a satisfied client
- an upcoming webinar or gallery exhibit
- a new product press release
- a recent blog post or article
- your most recent sold artwork
- job openings
Pin posts to increase your online visibility and make sure your message is seen by visitors to your Twitter and Facebook pages.